.post-body img { width:600px; height:auto; }

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adventure: Backpacking in McAfee Knob

I love backpacking.
It's one of those things... after a while I start to get the itch.  I have to hit the trail.
This trip will have been my 5th trip out and I have another one planned this fall.

I have been dying to go to McAfee's Knob but no on was ever willing to make the 5 hour drive.
Finally!  I had some takers!

The hike was only rated at a 3/5 difficulty level, and reportably has some of the most amazing views,
 so I decided to take the weight and pack my SLR.  Was I happy I did.

Oh, I also brought 2 other cameras... My Lomography Fisheye 
and my Olympus Stylus Tough (my "indestructible camera")
Backpacking McAfee Knob
This was the first clearing we came to
Backpacking McAfee Knob
I was so happy to see we were nearing the top!
Backpacking McAfee Knob
We have arrived!
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
McAfee Knob.  Check!
Backpacking McAfee Knob
After checking out the Knob, we hiked down the mountain a ways to set-up camp.
Jackie and I decided to hike back up to watch the sunset.
It was breathtaking.
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
This is, by far, my favorite shot from the trip!
Backpacking McAfee Knob
I took a lot of HDR images while at the knob.  It really helped bring out the details.
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
Backpacking McAfee Knob
The especially fun part was hiking .7 miles back to camp through the pitch-black woods! :)

Edit: Video here

Update: this blog post later got me published on the front of a local VA magazine.  Pretty cool!!
Backpacking McAfee Knob


1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    Great photos!! McAfee's Knob is beautiful. I've hiked through there on a 40 miler and a 20 miler. We're hiking there tomorrow - gonna be a bit chilly to start. I love backpacking as well - love being in the mountains!!

    Dennis A. Cooley

    ReplyDelete